Freon is one of the most common types of refrigerants used in air conditioning units today. It helps your air conditioning unit work efficiently, and it keeps your air conditioner’s temperature at the optimal level for performance.
If you notice problems with your air conditioner, it is important to check to see if your unit has begun leaking Freon. Freon leaks can cause your system to run inefficiently (or not at all), and it poses a health risk to you and your family if left untreated.
Not sure whether your AC system is currently experiencing this problem? Below, this HVAC repair contractor in Westmont, Illinois is going to review some of the most common signs that your system is leaking Freon.
First: Why Should You Care About a Freon Leak?
Freon is a gas mixed with other chemicals to create the refrigerant in your air conditioner. Once mixed, it becomes a liquid and absorbs heat from inside your house. It then releases that heat outside through coils in your condenser unit. This process keeps you cool and reduces the strain on your unit.
A Freon leak is when a hole in your air conditioning system has been leaking refrigerant. This refrigerant needs to be replaced by an HVAC repair contractor in Westmont, Illinois, or it can lead to major problems with the system and create potentially hazardous situations.
Signs to Look Out For
Here are some signs you might be experiencing a Freon leak:
- Noisy noises coming from inside or outside your air conditioner: A leak in your air conditioning system can be difficult to detect, but it will make a distinctive noise. The sound of a leaking Freon system is more like a hissing or gurgling sound that often sounds like running water. If you hear this noise coming from your air conditioner, it’s best to contact your local HVAC repair contractor in Westmont, Illinois.
- Weak airflow is a common sign of an AC leak. If you hear your unit running but don’t feel any cold air coming out of your vents, this could mean that there is a leak somewhere in your system. Often, these leaks stem from refrigerant lines or ducts. Sometimes, leaks can be found by checking for low suction pressure on your unit’s gauge.
- If your air conditioner is blowing warm air, it likely has a leak in one or more components. Most often, this means that the refrigerant is escaping and not able to do its job of cooling your home. The problem may be as simple as a loose connection where the hose connects with the unit, but there are other potential causes as well. You can use a tester, available at any hardware store for about $20, to determine if you have a leak in your system and what kind it is.
- Another sign of a leak is an unpleasant chemical odor inside your home, especially near your unit. The most common cause of this odor is naturally occurring chemicals — like chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) — found in refrigerants like Freon.
- Another tell-tale sign of a leaking air conditioner is frost accumulating on both sides of windows that should be clear due to being sealed by an HVAC system.
Air conditioners are very reliable, but they can sometimes develop leaks that need to be repaired. If you are not keeping an eye out for the signs mentioned above, you could be losing out on a lot of cold air and money without knowing it.
If you suspect a Freon leak, it’s best to contact your local HVAC repair contractor in Westmont, Illinois as soon as possible. The longer it takes to diagnose and address the issue, the more likely your air conditioner will need major repairs down the line.
Looking for the Top-Rated HVAC Repair Contractor in Westmont, Illinois?
Do you suspect that your AC system is leaking Freon? If so, and if you’re looking to have it repaired by the top-rated HVAC repair contractor in Westmont, Illinois, look no further than the team at Hearthstone Heating & Air Conditioning. Contact us today at (630) 435-9800 to schedule an appointment.